Skip to main content

AGENTS OF CHANGE

The first chapter of Bhagvad-Gita is entitled 'Observing the armies on the battlefield of Kurukshetra'. This chapter is all about Arjuna seeing the world through his eyes, interpreting the situation according to what he thinks is right. The result - confusion and stress. This the turning point in his life, where he surrenders to Krishna and asks Him for guidance. Lord Krishna then starts to speak the timeless wisdom of the Bhagvad-Gita only to give Arjuna the right vision.

If we honestly glance into our hearts, we will come to the same conclusion that Arjuna came to - that observing life through our present perceptions has not helped us, we still feel unhappy and incomplete. We probably need a change of lenses, a vision change. 

That's exactly what the Bhagvad-Gita does for us. It helps us change our vision from "What I think is correct" to "What is actually correct", it helps us change from saying "Let my will be done" to "Oh Lord, let Thy will be done", it helps us change our attitude from that of "I am a competitor to God's plan" to "I am a co-operator to God's plan". In simple words Bhagvad-Gita helps us to make this shift from seeing the world through our eyes to seeing the world through God's eyes. That's why it so important to regularly read and understand the  scriptures to clearly know without ambiguity what God expects of us, what is His plan for us.

It is explained that there are four kinds of servants -
  1. One who instead of serving the master, takes service from him.
  2. One who does what is told to him but with a lot of mistakes.
  3. One who does what is told to him perfectly.
  4. One who knows the heart of his master and does it even before being asked
Which of these four do you think pleases the master the most. Naturally, the last one - one who understands the mood and mission of His master and makes it his own. Such a servant naturally gains more trust of the master and is entrusted with more responsibilities. Similarly the Supreme Lord becomes very pleased and dearly loves that person who is ready to align himself with His desires. Such a person is chosen to be His instrument of compassion in this world.  

What the world badly needs is people who are ready to be instruments of God's compassion and love in this world. The world needs people who have changed their vision from passion to compassion, from selfishness to selflessness, from impurity of mind to purity of mind. 

It is said that - the biggest problem in this world is hunger - not hunger of the belly but hunger of the heart. Both the rich and the poor are equally hungry. And the only thing that can satisfy the hunger of the heart is God's love.

The question is are we ready to be instruments of God's love in this world, are we ready to be agents of change? If yes, then we first need to BE THE CHANGE WE WANT TO SEE IN THIS WORLD.

- Achyut Gopal Das

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE POWER OF OBEISANCES

Offering obeisances to the Supreme Lord in His deity form may superficially look like a very small and a simple activity. But, it is one one of the very important and significant aspect of Bhakti. Therefore Lord Krishna stresses the importance of offering obeisances to Him in one of the most important verse of the Bhagvat-gita in chapter 9, verse 34. "man-manā bhava mad-bhakto mad-yājī māṁ namaskuru mām evaiṣyasi yuktvaivam ātmānaṁ mat-parāyaṇaḥ" "Engage your mind always in thinking of Me, become My devotee, offer obeisances to Me and worship Me. Being completely absorbed in Me, surely you will come to Me." - Bhagvat-gita 9.34 This verse comes exactly in the middle of Bhagvat-gita making it all the more important. Not only that, this is the only verse that appears almost as it is, again towards the end of the eighteenth chapter of Bhagvat-gita as follows - "man-manā bhava mad-bhakto mad-yājī māṁ namaskuru mām evaiṣyasi satyaṁ te pratijāne priyo ...

A RADHASHTAMI MEDITATION

Jai Sri Radhe!! Is the chant on everyone's minds and hearts now. Atleast in the minds and hearts of devotees. It's time to celebrate the most auspicious of auspicious festivals; it's time to celebrate Sri Radhashtami - the appearance day of Srimati Radharani. For devotees, Radhashtami is a more important festival than Janmashtami. Why? Because for the world Krishna is God but for devotees, Radha is God because they know that Krishna is subservient to the love of Radha. In our ISKCON circle, it is said that - Janmashtami is a public event but Radhashtami is a private event for only devotees who understand the supreme position of Srimati Radharani. On the most auspicious occasion of Radhashtami, I would like to bring to your attention a beautiful meditation that His Holiness Bhakti Tirtha Swami wrote many years back on this occasion called "An offering for the Divine Mother". The best prayer is to repeat the prayer of previous realized, great souls. Keeping thi...

THE UNSUNG HERO

A few days ago, I was traveling from Mumbai to Govardhan Eco Village (GEV), our farm at the outskirts of Mumbai. While on the way I somehow remembered about a unique spiritual personality, Punchari ka Lota Baba. I don't know how I remembered about him, but sometimes Krishna gives sudden remembrances. This was of course a pleasant one. Just by remembering him, I felt elated. There is a fascinating story of this great soul from Govardhan Hill at Vrindavan. I had gone to his temple at least 14 years back.  Something more interesting was that as I was walking in GEV, I came near the replica of Govardhan Hill which the devotees have made at GEV, and to my amazement, I was right in front of the replica shrine of Lota Baba. How Krishna fulfills spiritual desires is just amazing. This was nothing short of a miracle for me. I just thought of him a day back and now I am in front of his shrine having his darshan. I was in ecstasy seeing Lota Baba and remembering his life and example. I woul...