Skip to main content

OVERCOMING OUR WEAKNESSES

We all have areas in life that we need to work on. These are our weak points in life. Many times we unintentionally believe that our strong points will substitute for the weak ones. But it doesn't work that way. As the saying goes - A chain is as strong as it's weakest link. We need to face our weaknesses, work on it, not run away from it.

We don't want to face our faults because we feel it will require a lot of hard work to rectify them. And sometimes we summon all our courage and start to work on them by changing our behavior but we seem to keep failing and lapsing back to our old habits. We finally resign to thinking "I have tried, it doesn't work, this is the way I am." If we want to alter our behavior for good then we need to alter the attitude behind the behavior. What years of struggle and effort can't do, can be done by a small flip in attitude.


 
One such attitude that is responsible for us holding on to our weaknesses is called the 'Chalta hai' attitude. It can also be called 'It's OK' attitude, 'The casual' attitude or 'It's not important' attitude. If something is not the way it should be, probably deep within we feel 'It's not important', 'It's OK to be the way I am'.

Let's see how this casual attitude plays out in different aspects of our life.

For example, if someone is always unclean it's mostly because he or she feels 'It's OK' to be unclean, live in a dirty place. If someone is disrespectful and speaks harshly it's because they feel 'It's OK' to be disrespectful, 'That's the way I am.' Even a simple thing like being unpunctual, it stems from this attitude that says 'It's OK' to be late, after all no one comes on time. Even in spiritual life, if someone is not doing his spiritual practice nicely it's because he or she feels 'Chalta hai', 'It doesn't make a big difference'.

We can practically trace this attitude to almost any area in our life that is not up-to the mark. The best part is once we flip this attitude to 'It's not OK' to be the way I am, 'This is very important for me', then without much effort we will see that we have improved in our weak areas of life. It's a simple technique but a powerful one. It works miraculously. We just need to give it a try to experience it's results.

We should develop a healthy non-tolerance for a life of compromise. A life of discipline is much more rewarding and satisfying than a life of compromise. In conclusion, when we feel uncomfortable about our weaknesses, when we feel 'It's not OK' to live like this, a life of compromise - then we pave way for permanent change.

- Achyut Gopal Das

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE POWER OF OBEISANCES

Offering obeisances to the Supreme Lord in His deity form may superficially look like a very small and a simple activity. But, it is one one of the very important and significant aspect of Bhakti. Therefore Lord Krishna stresses the importance of offering obeisances to Him in one of the most important verse of the Bhagvat-gita in chapter 9, verse 34. "man-manā bhava mad-bhakto mad-yājī māṁ namaskuru mām evaiṣyasi yuktvaivam ātmānaṁ mat-parāyaṇaḥ" "Engage your mind always in thinking of Me, become My devotee, offer obeisances to Me and worship Me. Being completely absorbed in Me, surely you will come to Me." - Bhagvat-gita 9.34 This verse comes exactly in the middle of Bhagvat-gita making it all the more important. Not only that, this is the only verse that appears almost as it is, again towards the end of the eighteenth chapter of Bhagvat-gita as follows - "man-manā bhava mad-bhakto mad-yājī māṁ namaskuru mām evaiṣyasi satyaṁ te pratijāne priyo ...

A RADHASHTAMI MEDITATION

Jai Sri Radhe!! Is the chant on everyone's minds and hearts now. Atleast in the minds and hearts of devotees. It's time to celebrate the most auspicious of auspicious festivals; it's time to celebrate Sri Radhashtami - the appearance day of Srimati Radharani. For devotees, Radhashtami is a more important festival than Janmashtami. Why? Because for the world Krishna is God but for devotees, Radha is God because they know that Krishna is subservient to the love of Radha. In our ISKCON circle, it is said that - Janmashtami is a public event but Radhashtami is a private event for only devotees who understand the supreme position of Srimati Radharani. On the most auspicious occasion of Radhashtami, I would like to bring to your attention a beautiful meditation that His Holiness Bhakti Tirtha Swami wrote many years back on this occasion called "An offering for the Divine Mother". The best prayer is to repeat the prayer of previous realized, great souls. Keeping thi...

THE UNSUNG HERO

A few days ago, I was traveling from Mumbai to Govardhan Eco Village (GEV), our farm at the outskirts of Mumbai. While on the way I somehow remembered about a unique spiritual personality, Punchari ka Lota Baba. I don't know how I remembered about him, but sometimes Krishna gives sudden remembrances. This was of course a pleasant one. Just by remembering him, I felt elated. There is a fascinating story of this great soul from Govardhan Hill at Vrindavan. I had gone to his temple at least 14 years back.  Something more interesting was that as I was walking in GEV, I came near the replica of Govardhan Hill which the devotees have made at GEV, and to my amazement, I was right in front of the replica shrine of Lota Baba. How Krishna fulfills spiritual desires is just amazing. This was nothing short of a miracle for me. I just thought of him a day back and now I am in front of his shrine having his darshan. I was in ecstasy seeing Lota Baba and remembering his life and example. I woul...