Skip to main content

A RADHASHTAMI MEDITATION

Jai Sri Radhe!! Is the chant on everyone's minds and hearts now. Atleast in the minds and hearts of devotees. It's time to celebrate the most auspicious of auspicious festivals; it's time to celebrate Sri Radhashtami - the appearance day of Srimati Radharani. For devotees, Radhashtami is a more important festival than Janmashtami. Why? Because for the world Krishna is God but for devotees, Radha is God because they know that Krishna is subservient to the love of Radha. In our ISKCON circle, it is said that - Janmashtami is a public event but Radhashtami is a private event for only devotees who understand the supreme position of Srimati Radharani.

On the most auspicious occasion of Radhashtami, I would like to bring to your attention a beautiful meditation that His Holiness Bhakti Tirtha Swami wrote many years back on this occasion called "An offering for the Divine Mother". The best prayer is to repeat the prayer of previous realized, great souls. Keeping this thought in mind, I am presenting a part of the write-up of Bhakti Tirtha Swami for your benefit. May this meditation make your Radhashtami even more better, meaningful and relishable.

AN OFFERING FOR THE DIVINE MOTHER

My dear Mother today is your appearance day. The creatures in this material universes were forced to take birth, due to their desire to enjoy material sense gratification. Their birth is a punishment, a period of confinement in material prison. Our bodies are the prison uniforms, and the cities, states, nations and planets are all places of repeated birth and death, characterized by constant harassment. You are not only a resident of the spiritual world, with a body of pure devotion to our Divine Father, but You manage to extend your protective energies as the guardian of the devotees. Dear Mother, please do not abandon us even though we hold tightly on to our prison mentalities.                                   
                                       
My dear Mother, today is Your appearance day, and we are all reminded that every true Saint attains love of the universal Father through You. You hold the key that unlocks the Bhakti stored in the heart of everyone. You ring the bell that attracts the attention of our beloved Father. No one can go to him or even attract a second of his attention, without Your blessings...oh, how we long for those blessings.

My dear Mother, today is your appearance day, and as usual Your thoughts are on others. We all want to chant Your glories, but You have defeated us terribly by putting our cases before our Beloved Father, telling Him to please bless us. Some heard You say: "Hey Govinda! These devotees are serving so nicely! Please receive them; they are better servants than I."Oh Mother how can we ever come up to a standard that really deserves Your affection and endorsements?                    
                                      
My dear Mother, today is Your appearance day. Let every atom vibrate Your name. Your servants in Vrindavan chant Your name before and after all activities. Your name is the means and the end. They know nothing but You. They speak only of You. They see all Beauty as a reflection of Your splendor. They are so intoxicated with Your pastimes that whoever associates with these great souls immediately contracts their disease. Even if this contagious fever spreads all over the entire universe, still the residents would never be able to glorify You sufficiently. What can I offer you in general, what to say of this most auspicious day of your appearance?              

How am I, so unqualified and unworthy, able to receive Your blessings? This is surely a sign of Your causeless mercy. Divine Mother, I can only get a glimpse of Your causeless mercy when I attempt to even think of offering something to You. As I am most expert at taking, on this auspicious day I run after those great true devotees of Yours, demanding one particle of dust from their lotus feet, which is sufficient to remove the tons of dust accumulated on my heart. Once this dust is completely removed, I will be able to offer You in service the only thing I seem to value. . .My life!
                                           
Although You are in need of nothing, Divine Mother, please grant me forgiveness on all sides and allow me association with your true bhaktas. Otherwise I shall remain a disgrace, passing another year with nothing of value to offer You...

Jai Sri Radhe!!

- Achyut Gopal Das

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRACTICAL TOOLS FOR DESIRE MANAGEMENT

“I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of, so they can see that it’s not the answer.” ― Jim Carrey, American - Canadian actor Long back, I heard this analogy to explain the nature of the unlimited desires in our hearts. It is explained in this analogy that, even if all the water bodies in earth are made into ink to fill a pen whose nib is as small as an atom and the sky is made into paper to write on; the ink will get exhausted, the nib will break and the paper will run-out but our list of desires will not get over - we will still have more left. Over these years of spiritual practices, I have realized the truth behind this analogy. I have become more aware of the dynamics of desires and it's working in life. Even though our hearts are filled with unlimited desires, luckily just a few jump into awareness every now and then, just like a few fish jump out of the surface of the ocean every now and then even though the ocean is filled with u...

SEEING THE UNSEEN HAND OF GOD

"kartum akartum anyatha kartum"  "Everything happening, not happening or otherwise happening is His happening." A few days ago, I had the opportunity to participate in a retreat for brahmacharis (monks) connected to the Radha Gopinath temple, Mumbai at the Govardhan Eco Village - the farm project of Radha Gopinath temple. Among other feelings, retreats like these always leaves you feeling a little more grounded and humble. You feel small in front of hundreds of other accomplished monks. The saying - " a big fish in a small pond becomes a small fish in a big pond " aptly summarizes the feeling one experiences in these Yatras. Another interesting experience was the experience of saving my slipper. May sound a little silly. But, it wasn't that silly given the fact that most monks have a similar kind of slipper (paduka type sandals). It was a kind of fun to try to hide my slippers in different places so that it wouldn't get interchanged with those of...

THE UNSUNG HERO

A few days ago, I was traveling from Mumbai to Govardhan Eco Village (GEV), our farm at the outskirts of Mumbai. While on the way I somehow remembered about a unique spiritual personality, Punchari ka Lota Baba. I don't know how I remembered about him, but sometimes Krishna gives sudden remembrances. This was of course a pleasant one. Just by remembering him, I felt elated. There is a fascinating story of this great soul from Govardhan Hill at Vrindavan. I had gone to his temple at least 14 years back.  Something more interesting was that as I was walking in GEV, I came near the replica of Govardhan Hill which the devotees have made at GEV, and to my amazement, I was right in front of the replica shrine of Lota Baba. How Krishna fulfills spiritual desires is just amazing. This was nothing short of a miracle for me. I just thought of him a day back and now I am in front of his shrine having his darshan. I was in ecstasy seeing Lota Baba and remembering his life and example. I woul...