Skip to main content

WOMANHOOD - UNDERSTOOD OR MISUNDERSTOOD? (A Tribute to all the women out there)


Being born in this world is not easy and being born as a woman is definitely not easy and being a chaste woman and trying to live a principle-centered life is definitely, definitely not easy. The struggles a woman goes through being a wife, raising children and running a family is many times beyond comprehension and very often, overlooked. Running an empire is easier than running a family. But probably the biggest challenge of womanhood is in being understood. Every woman looks for some man to empathize with her struggles and see her side of the picture. But instead of being understood, she is more often than not, misunderstood and exploited by the stronger sex. 

One of the reason Lord Krishna appears in this world is to protect chaste ladies and teach a lesson to all those who try to exploit the innocent womenfolk. Krishna was born to help his helpless mother, Devaki who was being tortured by wicked Kamsa. Krishna cried seeing the suffering of Kunti Devi and stood by her at all times giving protection and solace to this devoted widow. Krishna married Rukmini who was being forcibly married to Sishupala even though she had absolutely no liking for him. He married the 16,100 girls who were rejected and shunned away by society for being touched by Baumasura. 

Probably Lord Krishna was the only one who found a fault in the otherwise faultless Bhismadeva and rebuked him for kidnapping Amba without her consent and thereby destroying her life. He was always there for Draupadi in all her difficult times, took a unique incarnation as her saree and personally took onus to do justice for all the atrocities done to her and to meet out befitting replies to all those who tried to exploit her. Lord Krishna cried alongside Subadhra, gave her a lot of love and stood by her side when she lost her only son, young Abhimanyu. He also empathized with the grieving Gandhari, the mother of the notorious, deceased Kauravas. He empathized with the wives of Duryodhana and the wife of Karna for He knew that they were innocent and had tried their best to give wisdom to their wayward and adamant husbands. The list can go on and on. But I think you get the point. 

Lord Krishna was one personality who understood the misunderstood and mistreated womenfolk and showed kindness and showered protection to them, reassuring them with His "Abhaya mudra". If the men follow the footsteps of the Lord in this regard, the world will be a much better place to live in because a world where women are mistreated and abused will always be filled with unlimited miseries and anxieties whereas the world in which women are respected and honoured will be filled with unlimited prosperity and happiness. That is the law of the Almighty. No one can break it; we can only break ourselves against it. Let men not make a mistake of considering the womenfolk to be weak because who can be weak with the strength of God personally protecting them.

- Achyut Gopal Das

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SEEING THE UNSEEN HAND OF GOD

"kartum akartum anyatha kartum"  "Everything happening, not happening or otherwise happening is His happening." A few days ago, I had the opportunity to participate in a retreat for brahmacharis (monks) connected to the Radha Gopinath temple, Mumbai at the Govardhan Eco Village - the farm project of Radha Gopinath temple. Among other feelings, retreats like these always leaves you feeling a little more grounded and humble. You feel small in front of hundreds of other accomplished monks. The saying - " a big fish in a small pond becomes a small fish in a big pond " aptly summarizes the feeling one experiences in these Yatras. Another interesting experience was the experience of saving my slipper. May sound a little silly. But, it wasn't that silly given the fact that most monks have a similar kind of slipper (paduka type sandals). It was a kind of fun to try to hide my slippers in different places so that it wouldn't get interchanged with those of...

PRACTICAL TOOLS FOR DESIRE MANAGEMENT

“I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of, so they can see that it’s not the answer.” ― Jim Carrey, American - Canadian actor Long back, I heard this analogy to explain the nature of the unlimited desires in our hearts. It is explained in this analogy that, even if all the water bodies in earth are made into ink to fill a pen whose nib is as small as an atom and the sky is made into paper to write on; the ink will get exhausted, the nib will break and the paper will run-out but our list of desires will not get over - we will still have more left. Over these years of spiritual practices, I have realized the truth behind this analogy. I have become more aware of the dynamics of desires and it's working in life. Even though our hearts are filled with unlimited desires, luckily just a few jump into awareness every now and then, just like a few fish jump out of the surface of the ocean every now and then even though the ocean is filled with u...

THE UNSUNG HERO

A few days ago, I was traveling from Mumbai to Govardhan Eco Village (GEV), our farm at the outskirts of Mumbai. While on the way I somehow remembered about a unique spiritual personality, Punchari ka Lota Baba. I don't know how I remembered about him, but sometimes Krishna gives sudden remembrances. This was of course a pleasant one. Just by remembering him, I felt elated. There is a fascinating story of this great soul from Govardhan Hill at Vrindavan. I had gone to his temple at least 14 years back.  Something more interesting was that as I was walking in GEV, I came near the replica of Govardhan Hill which the devotees have made at GEV, and to my amazement, I was right in front of the replica shrine of Lota Baba. How Krishna fulfills spiritual desires is just amazing. This was nothing short of a miracle for me. I just thought of him a day back and now I am in front of his shrine having his darshan. I was in ecstasy seeing Lota Baba and remembering his life and example. I woul...