Skip to main content

VRINDAVAN EXPERIENCE - HUMBLING yet ENLIVENING


Our Yatra to Vrindavan has just ended. Leaving the physical boundary of Vrindavan but praying to carry Vrindavan within my heart always and everywhere. Coming to Vrindavan was a very humbling yet enlivening experience. Humbling because I realize my smallness and weakness is comprehending this great holy abode which is non-different than the Lord. I realize that getting to see Vrindavan is one thing but, getting to actually "see" Vrindavan is all together on another platform. That vision of Vrindavan is given only to devotees whose hearts are freed from all desires to enjoy this world independent of God. 
 
As Śrīla Narottama dāsa Ṭhākura has sung in a celebrated song, "viṣaya chāḍiyā kabe śuddha habe mana, kabe hama herābo sri-brandaban": “When my mind will be purified after leaving the contamination of material sense enjoyment, I shall be able to visit Vṛndāvana."
 
The greatness of Sri Vrindavan Dham humbles one but the sweetness of this land, enlivens and satisfies one. That sweetness permeates every aspect of Sri Vrindavan. The breeze, the land, the dust, the trees, the grass, the waters, the stones, the animals, the birds, the local Vrajbasis, the Lila-sthalis; everything about Vrindavan is sweet and fully spiritual. Even though there is some austerities while living here but, one can simultaneously feel the sweetness of this land. There is a kind of joy and satisfaction one experiences here that is unexplainable yet tangible and true.
 
I don't feel like leaving Sri Vrindavan but I also know that Srila Prabhupada wanted us to gain inspiration here and go back to our own places of service and carry out our services with Vrindavan in our hearts. And thus be instrumental in replicating Sri Vrindavan Dham wherever we are. Our parampara is the parampara of vipralambha-seva, service in separation. Thus we serve in separation from Vrindavan so that the next time Srimati Radharani calls us to Vrindavan we can experience Vrindavan on a deeper level.
 
- Achyut Gopal Das

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRACTICAL TOOLS FOR DESIRE MANAGEMENT

“I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of, so they can see that it’s not the answer.” ― Jim Carrey, American - Canadian actor Long back, I heard this analogy to explain the nature of the unlimited desires in our hearts. It is explained in this analogy that, even if all the water bodies in earth are made into ink to fill a pen whose nib is as small as an atom and the sky is made into paper to write on; the ink will get exhausted, the nib will break and the paper will run-out but our list of desires will not get over - we will still have more left. Over these years of spiritual practices, I have realized the truth behind this analogy. I have become more aware of the dynamics of desires and it's working in life. Even though our hearts are filled with unlimited desires, luckily just a few jump into awareness every now and then, just like a few fish jump out of the surface of the ocean every now and then even though the ocean is filled with u...

SEEING THE UNSEEN HAND OF GOD

"kartum akartum anyatha kartum"  "Everything happening, not happening or otherwise happening is His happening." A few days ago, I had the opportunity to participate in a retreat for brahmacharis (monks) connected to the Radha Gopinath temple, Mumbai at the Govardhan Eco Village - the farm project of Radha Gopinath temple. Among other feelings, retreats like these always leaves you feeling a little more grounded and humble. You feel small in front of hundreds of other accomplished monks. The saying - " a big fish in a small pond becomes a small fish in a big pond " aptly summarizes the feeling one experiences in these Yatras. Another interesting experience was the experience of saving my slipper. May sound a little silly. But, it wasn't that silly given the fact that most monks have a similar kind of slipper (paduka type sandals). It was a kind of fun to try to hide my slippers in different places so that it wouldn't get interchanged with those of...

THE UNSUNG HERO

A few days ago, I was traveling from Mumbai to Govardhan Eco Village (GEV), our farm at the outskirts of Mumbai. While on the way I somehow remembered about a unique spiritual personality, Punchari ka Lota Baba. I don't know how I remembered about him, but sometimes Krishna gives sudden remembrances. This was of course a pleasant one. Just by remembering him, I felt elated. There is a fascinating story of this great soul from Govardhan Hill at Vrindavan. I had gone to his temple at least 14 years back.  Something more interesting was that as I was walking in GEV, I came near the replica of Govardhan Hill which the devotees have made at GEV, and to my amazement, I was right in front of the replica shrine of Lota Baba. How Krishna fulfills spiritual desires is just amazing. This was nothing short of a miracle for me. I just thought of him a day back and now I am in front of his shrine having his darshan. I was in ecstasy seeing Lota Baba and remembering his life and example. I woul...