Skip to main content

SPEEDING UP BY SLOWING DOWN

If you want to increase the speed of your success in life then learn to slow down. One may argue, either you speed up or slow down, how can one speed up and slow down simultaneously. It looks like a contradiction. But often life is about reconciling opposites, finding the mid-point, the balance between two extremes.

I would like to explain two meanings of ‘slowing down’.

The first meaning of slowing down is to regularly take time to analyse, introspect and recheck our direction in life. Somehow in today's high-tech world where so much value and stress is given on speed, we many times overlook the direction of our life. As Stephen Covey, the famous author aptly put it by saying - 'The difference between a leader and manager is that, a manager is one who knows how to efficiently climb the ladder, but a leader is one who knows if the ladder is on the right wall.' Most people spend their entire life in efficiently climbing the 'so called' ladder of success only to realise that it was on the wrong wall. What an irony! That's why Socrates the great philosopher mentioned 2500 years back - 'An unexamined life is not worth living.' Just like a car needs to be serviced regularly for it to run faster, similarly we need to take time to invest in ourselves in order to gain momentum in life.


Second meaning of slowing down is to slow down the mind. If you have observed the mind, you will notice how it is constantly oscillating between past and future. The mind seems to have its own pace, it's own speed and it always seems in a sort of hurry to reach it's destination. This is called the Destination Addiction Syndrome (DAS). What is DAS? It is the belief that I will be happy as soon as I reach my destination. But in the process we forget to enjoy the journey. The foolishness of this state of mind is exposed in this beautiful poem.

First I was dying to finish high school and start college
And then I was dying to finish college and start working
And then I was dying to marry and have children
And then I was dying for my children to grow old enough so they could go to school so I could go back to work
And then I was dying to retire
And now...I am dying .... and suddenly I realised I forgot to live.


This shouldn't be the plight of our life. We need to understand that both past and future are illusions of mind, they have no place in reality. The only thing that is real is the present moment. Just see our position - the body is in present moment but our mind is either in the past or the future. No doubt we are experiencing so much stress in life, literally being ‘pulled apart’ by our mind.

The remedy for this madness of the mind is to live in the present. Only when we slow down the mind, can we actually experience life in its true form. Mind doesn't add beauty to life but takes away it's beauty. When was the last time we relished the crispness of the fresh air, looked up and appreciated the sun, moon and stars. When did we stop to actually see the beauty of a flower or a tree. In looking for big miracles we oversee the small ones happening all around us. In fact there is nothing as a small miracle. It's the nature of the mind to make even extraordinary things ordinary.

The key to success is to understand that, if we give ourselves fully to the present moment naturally the future will be the best. The future takes care of itself if we take care of the present. As it is said - Yesterday was history, tomorrow is a mystery but today is a gift of God - that's why it is called present. And these gift can be accessed only by being fully present in the moment. So the next time you catch the mind racing, tell it this mantra - ‘You speed up by slowing down’.

- Achyut Gopal Das

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REQUEST TO & FROM A MOTHER

  Today on the occasion of Mother's Day, I went to meet the cow, our mother to wish her for Mother's Day and make a request to her. I requested her to shower her blessings and mercy on her children who are suffering so badly due to the deadly covid virus. The good news for all of us is that, she mercifully agreed to shower her heartfelt blessings, prayers, mercy on all her children. After all, that's the heart of a mother - always wanting and desiring best for her children. I was elated, my mission accomplished - now, the suffering of humanity will reduce. As I was leaving, the cow also had one personal request. She requested me with tears in her eyes to request her children not to abuse, exploit and slaughter her mercilessly. I could literally feel her pain and suffering as she made this request. This was the pain of a mother. Tears swelled up in my eyes. I didn't know what to reply her. I did tell her that I will pass on her request to her other children and I walked ...

PRACTICAL TOOLS FOR DESIRE MANAGEMENT

“I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of, so they can see that it’s not the answer.” ― Jim Carrey, American - Canadian actor Long back, I heard this analogy to explain the nature of the unlimited desires in our hearts. It is explained in this analogy that, even if all the water bodies in earth are made into ink to fill a pen whose nib is as small as an atom and the sky is made into paper to write on; the ink will get exhausted, the nib will break and the paper will run-out but our list of desires will not get over - we will still have more left. Over these years of spiritual practices, I have realized the truth behind this analogy. I have become more aware of the dynamics of desires and it's working in life. Even though our hearts are filled with unlimited desires, luckily just a few jump into awareness every now and then, just like a few fish jump out of the surface of the ocean every now and then even though the ocean is filled with u...

WHAT IS YOUR MESSAGE?

" It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching " - St. Francis of Assisi . Every act of ours sends a message to others . If we come late for a meeting or a class, we are sending a message to others that, "this meeting or class is not very important." If we keep things untidy, we are sending a message across that, "cleanliness is not that important." If someone takes bribe, the message that person sends is, "corruption is normal." If someone keeps criticising others and engages in politics, the message he sends to others is, "it's normal to criticise and engage in politics." If we are very active and fully utilize our time, we give the message that "time is very precious and valuable." If someone sits erect and chants with absorption, he sends a message across that, "chanting is the most wonderful experience in life."  If someone continues on in life with hope even amidst unlimi...