Skip to main content

THE UNSUNG HERO

A few days ago, I was traveling from Mumbai to Govardhan Eco Village (GEV), our farm at the outskirts of Mumbai. While on the way I somehow remembered about a unique spiritual personality, Punchari ka Lota Baba. I don't know how I remembered about him, but sometimes Krishna gives sudden remembrances. This was of course a pleasant one. Just by remembering him, I felt elated. There is a fascinating story of this great soul from Govardhan Hill at Vrindavan. I had gone to his temple at least 14 years back. 

Something more interesting was that as I was walking in GEV, I came near the replica of Govardhan Hill which the devotees have made at GEV, and to my amazement, I was right in front of the replica shrine of Lota Baba. How Krishna fulfills spiritual desires is just amazing. This was nothing short of a miracle for me. I just thought of him a day back and now I am in front of his shrine having his darshan. I was in ecstasy seeing Lota Baba and remembering his life and example.

I would like to share with you, the story of this special devotee. It's a simple and sweet story, I am sure you will love it.

STORY OF FAITH
There was a cowherd boy named Lota. When Akrura was taking Krishna and Balaram on a chariot to Mathura, Lota ran out to Krishna and said "Where are you going? I have prepared Prasad for you". Krishna said "I am going to Mathura"  Lota insisted saying "No, no. I have already prepared Prasad for you. Please come and take that Prasad." And Krishna said "I am going to Mathura. I will return the day after tomorrow." Lota Baba said "Okay. Then I will not eat, drink or sleep. I will just sit in this place with this food, waiting for you to return." He waited and waited and waited.... and Krishna didn't come. But Lota Baba has not given up, it is said that he is still waiting for Krishna to come. He has full faith in Krishna’s promise. He is sure Krishna will come.

Just as Krishna has promised Lota Baba, He also promises us in the Bhagvat-Gita 18.65, by saying-

man-manā bhava mad-bhakto
mad-yājī māḿ namaskuru
mām evaiṣyasi satyaḿ te
pratijāne priyo ‘si me


“Always think of Me, become My devotee, worship Me and offer your homage unto Me. Thus you will come to Me without fail.”

The question is "Do we have faith in Krishna's words?" If not, Lota Baba can be your inspiration in life.

Another interesting aspect about Lota Baba is that even though he has not taken a drop of water or eaten any food himself, he is quite healthy looking. He looks very well fed. If you see his deity in Govardhan, you will see a fat deity. How is that possible? Because of his faith and constant remembrance of Krishna. Can you imagine. Thousands of years of waiting only because Krishna promised. He is nourished by his faith. And therefore he is always strong.

IT'S ALL ABOUT ATTITUDE
To execute Krishna Consciousness we must follow in the footsteps of Punchari ka Lota Baba. We must have patience and enthusiasm - no matter how many years, no matter how many life times it takes, we will keep serving Krishna and keep waiting for His mercy by constantly remembering Him.

Also, a unique feature of his deity is that - you will see him always blissfully smiling. Even though he has been waiting so long, he is not morose but happy. He is teaching us that we need not become happy only when we achieve Krishna, we can be happy even in the journey to achieve Krishna.

Ultimately it's all about our attitude while we practice Krishna consciousness. It is these attitudes and mindsets in which we practice Bhakti that can win the heart of Krishna. And personalities like Lota Baba set the example for all of us. By studying and meditating on such great souls, some of their qualities will rub off on us. Personally, Lota Baba has become one of my heroes, my role model.

Let us all pray to Punchari ka Lota baba that he will bless us with faith, patience, determination and satisfaction in the path of Bhakti.

- Achyut Gopal Das

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LETTING GO OF "THE SMALL" to ACHIEVE "THE BIG"

"The main thing is to keep the main thing as the main thing." Here are few musings from the books of Radhanath Swami. Simple, little stories but with profound meanings that can permanently alter our consciousness if we allow them to. The first is a story from his memoir, "The Journey Home". During his travels in the Himalayas, he reached the holy city of Rishikesh. There, he took a month-long vow to fast and meditate on a rock in the Ganges to receive enlightenment. After successfully completing his month-long vow and being blessed with deep spiritual wisdom, he decided to break his fast with the one rupee coin some pilgrim had donated him. Remembering, a peanut vendor that he used to see on his way to the Ganges, he decided to buy some peanuts and give himself a feast. When the shopkeeper saw one rupee, his eyes lit up and he made a large shopping bag of old newspapers and filled it with peanuts. As Radhanath Swami walked along the jungle path to his cave, rejoic...

REQUEST TO & FROM A MOTHER

  Today on the occasion of Mother's Day, I went to meet the cow, our mother to wish her for Mother's Day and make a request to her. I requested her to shower her blessings and mercy on her children who are suffering so badly due to the deadly covid virus. The good news for all of us is that, she mercifully agreed to shower her heartfelt blessings, prayers, mercy on all her children. After all, that's the heart of a mother - always wanting and desiring best for her children. I was elated, my mission accomplished - now, the suffering of humanity will reduce. As I was leaving, the cow also had one personal request. She requested me with tears in her eyes to request her children not to abuse, exploit and slaughter her mercilessly. I could literally feel her pain and suffering as she made this request. This was the pain of a mother. Tears swelled up in my eyes. I didn't know what to reply her. I did tell her that I will pass on her request to her other children and I walked ...

THE VICTORY FLAG - Offering to H.H. Jayapataka Maharaj

  Today is the Vyas Puja (Appearance Day) of one of the greatest heroes the world has ever seen and definitely one of the biggest heroes in my life. Today is the Appearance Day of His Holiness Jayapataka Maharaj. "Jayapataka" means "Victory Flag" . As his name suggests, Maharaj has achieved victory over insurmountable and seemingly impossible obstacles. His life is an emblem of one-pointed dedication to Guru, selfless service to the Vaishnavas and unparalleled compassion to the common people. Even after going through a life-threatening brain hemorrhage, a liver and a kidney transplant, he still continues to preach the message of His Dear Lord Chaitanya with great vigour and zeal. For him the word "Impossible" means "I am possible". His life is a glaring example to the entire world that, if one is possessed by a burning desire to serve Guru and Gauranga, then anything, literally anything is possible.  Srila Prabhupada, in...