Skip to main content

CHOOSE YOUR CHAOS


There is a very interesting theory called the Deterministic Chaos Theory. I was quite fascinated when I first learnt about this theory and the impact it can have on our life. We live in a world with so many laws both gross and subtle. Better to understand them and live our life in accordance with them, because as the saying goes "You can't break the law but can break yourself against it". With this little introduction let us try to understand this theory in action.

Deterministic Chaos Theory in it's simplistic sense states that a minor difference at the start of a process can make a major change in it as time progresses. Just like an avalanche. It starts with a small ball of snow falling down, slowly it gathers more and more snow and very soon the ball becomes so big that an entire village is destroyed. Another example to explain this phenomenon is the example of a plane. If there is an error by a slightest degree when the plane takes off then it could land in an all together different destination. Let's see how this theory applies in our lives.

 
THE NEGATIVE CHAOS
The classic example from the Ramayana is that of Sita Devi getting attracted to the false deer and making the mistake of chastising Lakshman which lead to her suffering in Lanka and beyond. Sita Devi by her example is showing us how one small mistake from her side costed her a heavy price. That's how life is. Material nature is quite harsh.

If you visit a prison house and talk to the inmates, they will tell you that one moment of weakness costed them a lifetime of imprisonment. It is explained that the cause of the entire Kurukshetra war in which all the Kauravas lost their lives along with that of all their followers was their one mistake of insulting Draupadi.

THE POSITIVE CHAOS
The good news is that this theory works in positive way too. One small positive change we make, one small help we do to others can catapult into a massive positivity in our life. When sage Vishwamitra comes to ask Ram from King Dasharath to help him fight some demons, Dasharath with a heavy heart gives Ram and Lakshman in the service of the sages. The result was that Vishwamitra awarded Ram with the knowledge of celestial weapons and orchestrated the marriage of not only Ram but that of his other three brothers too to the best of the brides. All this would have been impossible had Dasharath not served Vishwamitra.

The positive side of Chaos Theory is taken to the highest level when we render service to God, even if it is seemingly very small. The classic example is of Draupadi, who on seeing a cut in Krishna's finger without a second thought tore her costly saree to tie it on Krishna's hand. The result - at the most crucial time of her life, Krishna supplied her with unlimited saree.

The path of spirituality is actually meant to create a huge chaos in our life and to bring down our sinful tendencies like a pack of falling cards and to flood our life with bliss beyond imagination.

So, we can't espace this theory in action in our life, there is chaos bound to happen in our life, the only choice we have is - is it going to be a negative one or a positive one.

- Achyut Gopal Das

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRACTICAL TOOLS FOR DESIRE MANAGEMENT

“I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of, so they can see that it’s not the answer.” ― Jim Carrey, American - Canadian actor Long back, I heard this analogy to explain the nature of the unlimited desires in our hearts. It is explained in this analogy that, even if all the water bodies in earth are made into ink to fill a pen whose nib is as small as an atom and the sky is made into paper to write on; the ink will get exhausted, the nib will break and the paper will run-out but our list of desires will not get over - we will still have more left. Over these years of spiritual practices, I have realized the truth behind this analogy. I have become more aware of the dynamics of desires and it's working in life. Even though our hearts are filled with unlimited desires, luckily just a few jump into awareness every now and then, just like a few fish jump out of the surface of the ocean every now and then even though the ocean is filled with u...

SEEING THE UNSEEN HAND OF GOD

"kartum akartum anyatha kartum"  "Everything happening, not happening or otherwise happening is His happening." A few days ago, I had the opportunity to participate in a retreat for brahmacharis (monks) connected to the Radha Gopinath temple, Mumbai at the Govardhan Eco Village - the farm project of Radha Gopinath temple. Among other feelings, retreats like these always leaves you feeling a little more grounded and humble. You feel small in front of hundreds of other accomplished monks. The saying - " a big fish in a small pond becomes a small fish in a big pond " aptly summarizes the feeling one experiences in these Yatras. Another interesting experience was the experience of saving my slipper. May sound a little silly. But, it wasn't that silly given the fact that most monks have a similar kind of slipper (paduka type sandals). It was a kind of fun to try to hide my slippers in different places so that it wouldn't get interchanged with those of...

THE UNSUNG HERO

A few days ago, I was traveling from Mumbai to Govardhan Eco Village (GEV), our farm at the outskirts of Mumbai. While on the way I somehow remembered about a unique spiritual personality, Punchari ka Lota Baba. I don't know how I remembered about him, but sometimes Krishna gives sudden remembrances. This was of course a pleasant one. Just by remembering him, I felt elated. There is a fascinating story of this great soul from Govardhan Hill at Vrindavan. I had gone to his temple at least 14 years back.  Something more interesting was that as I was walking in GEV, I came near the replica of Govardhan Hill which the devotees have made at GEV, and to my amazement, I was right in front of the replica shrine of Lota Baba. How Krishna fulfills spiritual desires is just amazing. This was nothing short of a miracle for me. I just thought of him a day back and now I am in front of his shrine having his darshan. I was in ecstasy seeing Lota Baba and remembering his life and example. I woul...