Skip to main content

THE STANDING KRISHNA for THE SLEEPING US

"Krishna's love for us is far greater than our love for Him."

Ever wondered why Lord Krishna's deity in most temples are in a standing position? Because, the Lord feels that if my devotee calls for me in his moment of distress, I should be ready and not have to waste getting up. Mind you, the deity of the Lord is not a mere replica of the Lord but the Lord Himself. Can you imagine this - the Lord is personally standing on His legs for such a long time eagerly waiting for all of us. For us to stand for even sometime feels painful. But the Lord is ready to tolerate any inconvenience for the convenience of His devotees, tolerate any distress to help mitigate distress of His devotees. This is the loving mood of the Lord. He is more eager to give Himself to us than we are to give ourselves to Him.

 
Just this simple aspect of the deity of the Lord standing has such deep meaning and significance in our life if we can see it in the right perspective. Everything the Lord does, even the simplest of simple things has deep import and is filled with a deep sense of compassion and love for all of us - His lost children. Now, it's up to us to wake up from our sleep of ignorance and reciprocate with the love of the Lord by running towards Him and not keep Him waiting too long.

- Achyut Gopal Das

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAKE IT A POINT TO MAKE THE POINT

A few days ago, as I was traveling on the ferry that takes us to our ISKCON Center at Chodan island, a relatively young man approached me and started to talk to me. My Vaishnava (devotee) attire probably attracted him to me. He was asking me if I was a preist in a temple. To which I said "Yes". I asked him where he stays and what he does. He told me that he stays in Panjim and runs a chicken shop in Porvorim. I asked him his name and as I guessed, he happened to be a Muslim. I could see marks of dried up blood stains in different places in his shirt. I at once told him to try to switch his profession to one which involves less violence. I suggested to him to start a vegetable or a grocery shop.  He seemed to be taken a little aback by what might have appeared to him to be a stange suggestion by a stranger. I told him that killing innocent animals is not right. They too have life and feelings like us. He was hearing me out. He then asked me, if one can eat chicken ...

PRACTICAL TOOLS FOR DESIRE MANAGEMENT

“I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of, so they can see that it’s not the answer.” ― Jim Carrey, American - Canadian actor Long back, I heard this analogy to explain the nature of the unlimited desires in our hearts. It is explained in this analogy that, even if all the water bodies in earth are made into ink to fill a pen whose nib is as small as an atom and the sky is made into paper to write on; the ink will get exhausted, the nib will break and the paper will run-out but our list of desires will not get over - we will still have more left. Over these years of spiritual practices, I have realized the truth behind this analogy. I have become more aware of the dynamics of desires and it's working in life. Even though our hearts are filled with unlimited desires, luckily just a few jump into awareness every now and then, just like a few fish jump out of the surface of the ocean every now and then even though the ocean is filled with u...

THE UNSUNG HERO

A few days ago, I was traveling from Mumbai to Govardhan Eco Village (GEV), our farm at the outskirts of Mumbai. While on the way I somehow remembered about a unique spiritual personality, Punchari ka Lota Baba. I don't know how I remembered about him, but sometimes Krishna gives sudden remembrances. This was of course a pleasant one. Just by remembering him, I felt elated. There is a fascinating story of this great soul from Govardhan Hill at Vrindavan. I had gone to his temple at least 14 years back.  Something more interesting was that as I was walking in GEV, I came near the replica of Govardhan Hill which the devotees have made at GEV, and to my amazement, I was right in front of the replica shrine of Lota Baba. How Krishna fulfills spiritual desires is just amazing. This was nothing short of a miracle for me. I just thought of him a day back and now I am in front of his shrine having his darshan. I was in ecstasy seeing Lota Baba and remembering his life and example. I woul...