Skip to main content

When O When

When O when will I become a Vaishnava...
Who is humbler than a blade of grass and more tolerant than a tree,
Free from any sense of hatred and animosity.

When O when will I become a Vaishnava...
Who is free from lust and greed,
And from unwanted wants and needs.

When O when will I become a Vaishnava...
Who is free from pride and envy,
And from wrong company.
When O when will I become a Vaishnava...
Who is ready to embrace other's sorrows as one's own,
And not bother about sorrows of one's own.

When O when will I become a Vaishnava...
Who is ready to forgive and forget,
And not be caught in Maya's net.

When O when will I become a Vaishnava...
Who is eager to offer respects to all,
And expect none at all.

When O when will I become a Vaishnava...
Who chants the Holynames incessantly,
With love, devotion and humility.

When O when will I become a Vaishnava...
Who considers everyone better than himself,
And loves everyone more than oneself.

When O when will I become a Vaishnava...
Who gives great pleasure to Guru and the Vaishnavas,
By genuinely feeling oneself to be the servant of the servants.

When O when will I become a Vaishnava...
Who runs to Krishna at full speed,
Ready to overcome obstacles of any size, indeed.

When O when will I become a Vaishnava...
Whose heart is filled with pure love,
And thus sees the world through eyes tainted with love.

- Achyut Gopal Das

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRACTICAL TOOLS FOR DESIRE MANAGEMENT

“I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of, so they can see that it’s not the answer.” ― Jim Carrey, American - Canadian actor Long back, I heard this analogy to explain the nature of the unlimited desires in our hearts. It is explained in this analogy that, even if all the water bodies in earth are made into ink to fill a pen whose nib is as small as an atom and the sky is made into paper to write on; the ink will get exhausted, the nib will break and the paper will run-out but our list of desires will not get over - we will still have more left. Over these years of spiritual practices, I have realized the truth behind this analogy. I have become more aware of the dynamics of desires and it's working in life. Even though our hearts are filled with unlimited desires, luckily just a few jump into awareness every now and then, just like a few fish jump out of the surface of the ocean every now and then even though the ocean is filled with u...

SEEING THE UNSEEN HAND OF GOD

"kartum akartum anyatha kartum"  "Everything happening, not happening or otherwise happening is His happening." A few days ago, I had the opportunity to participate in a retreat for brahmacharis (monks) connected to the Radha Gopinath temple, Mumbai at the Govardhan Eco Village - the farm project of Radha Gopinath temple. Among other feelings, retreats like these always leaves you feeling a little more grounded and humble. You feel small in front of hundreds of other accomplished monks. The saying - " a big fish in a small pond becomes a small fish in a big pond " aptly summarizes the feeling one experiences in these Yatras. Another interesting experience was the experience of saving my slipper. May sound a little silly. But, it wasn't that silly given the fact that most monks have a similar kind of slipper (paduka type sandals). It was a kind of fun to try to hide my slippers in different places so that it wouldn't get interchanged with those of...

THE UNSUNG HERO

A few days ago, I was traveling from Mumbai to Govardhan Eco Village (GEV), our farm at the outskirts of Mumbai. While on the way I somehow remembered about a unique spiritual personality, Punchari ka Lota Baba. I don't know how I remembered about him, but sometimes Krishna gives sudden remembrances. This was of course a pleasant one. Just by remembering him, I felt elated. There is a fascinating story of this great soul from Govardhan Hill at Vrindavan. I had gone to his temple at least 14 years back.  Something more interesting was that as I was walking in GEV, I came near the replica of Govardhan Hill which the devotees have made at GEV, and to my amazement, I was right in front of the replica shrine of Lota Baba. How Krishna fulfills spiritual desires is just amazing. This was nothing short of a miracle for me. I just thought of him a day back and now I am in front of his shrine having his darshan. I was in ecstasy seeing Lota Baba and remembering his life and example. I woul...