Skip to main content

JUST BECAUSE...

Just because we give good discourses, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Just because we write nicely, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Just because we manage the temple nicely, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Just because we cook nice bhoga, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Just because we start many temples and centers, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Just because we have completed many projects, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Just because we have many followers and have made many devotees, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Just because we have organised many events, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Just because we dress the deities nicely, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced.

Yes, these services are wonderful and laudable but we shouldn't forget the purpose of doing all these various services. Somehow, the nature of our conditioned mind and intellect is to judge our internal success by the yardstick of external success. We tend to confuse skills with devotion. Skills are a wonderful blessing given to us by Krishna but just possessing them and displaying them is not a sign of our spiritual growth. Whatever gifts we are bestowed with, we should always remember that the only purpose of using them is to please Krishna and nothing else. So the yardstick of being spiritually advanced is how much we have pleased Krishna. And how is Krishna pleased? He is only pleased seeing the devotion of our heart, the purification of our minds, the evolution of our consciousness and the eradication of our anarthas.

So, let us not get caught in the superficialities and forget the essence, let us not get caught in the form and forget the substance beneath the form and let us not get caught in the game of impressing others and forget to impress the heart of Krishna.

- Achyut Gopal Das

Comments

  1. Is this comparison among grate devotees coming from acaryas?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PRACTICAL TOOLS FOR DESIRE MANAGEMENT

“I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of, so they can see that it’s not the answer.” ― Jim Carrey, American - Canadian actor Long back, I heard this analogy to explain the nature of the unlimited desires in our hearts. It is explained in this analogy that, even if all the water bodies in earth are made into ink to fill a pen whose nib is as small as an atom and the sky is made into paper to write on; the ink will get exhausted, the nib will break and the paper will run-out but our list of desires will not get over - we will still have more left. Over these years of spiritual practices, I have realized the truth behind this analogy. I have become more aware of the dynamics of desires and it's working in life. Even though our hearts are filled with unlimited desires, luckily just a few jump into awareness every now and then, just like a few fish jump out of the surface of the ocean every now and then even though the ocean is filled with u...

SEEING THE UNSEEN HAND OF GOD

"kartum akartum anyatha kartum"  "Everything happening, not happening or otherwise happening is His happening." A few days ago, I had the opportunity to participate in a retreat for brahmacharis (monks) connected to the Radha Gopinath temple, Mumbai at the Govardhan Eco Village - the farm project of Radha Gopinath temple. Among other feelings, retreats like these always leaves you feeling a little more grounded and humble. You feel small in front of hundreds of other accomplished monks. The saying - " a big fish in a small pond becomes a small fish in a big pond " aptly summarizes the feeling one experiences in these Yatras. Another interesting experience was the experience of saving my slipper. May sound a little silly. But, it wasn't that silly given the fact that most monks have a similar kind of slipper (paduka type sandals). It was a kind of fun to try to hide my slippers in different places so that it wouldn't get interchanged with those of...

THE UNSUNG HERO

A few days ago, I was traveling from Mumbai to Govardhan Eco Village (GEV), our farm at the outskirts of Mumbai. While on the way I somehow remembered about a unique spiritual personality, Punchari ka Lota Baba. I don't know how I remembered about him, but sometimes Krishna gives sudden remembrances. This was of course a pleasant one. Just by remembering him, I felt elated. There is a fascinating story of this great soul from Govardhan Hill at Vrindavan. I had gone to his temple at least 14 years back.  Something more interesting was that as I was walking in GEV, I came near the replica of Govardhan Hill which the devotees have made at GEV, and to my amazement, I was right in front of the replica shrine of Lota Baba. How Krishna fulfills spiritual desires is just amazing. This was nothing short of a miracle for me. I just thought of him a day back and now I am in front of his shrine having his darshan. I was in ecstasy seeing Lota Baba and remembering his life and example. I woul...