Skip to main content

WHAT IS YOUR SELLING PRICE?

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

One time a few guests came to meet Srila Prabhupada, the founder acharya of ISKCON. Srila Prabhupada pointing to his disciples told these guests very proudly, "Just see, these boys and girls are so dedicated to this Krishna consciousness movement and me that even if you give them a million dollars, they will not leave me."


The guests were highly impressed with the disciples commitment to Srila Prabhupada and the disciples in turn were floating in the air feeling very proud of their dedication. After the guests left, Srila Prabhupada turned to his disciples and told them that there is nothing for them to be proud about because till now no one has given them a million dollars. Only when they reject such a kind of alluring offer will they prove their loyalty and dedication to this movement.

Maya in various ways keeps alluring us with her irresistible attractive offers. She knows very well that everyone has a price at which he or she may sell his soul and give up his spiritual life or at least compromise it. Thus, she regularly offers us things a little more than our price of dedication. She is literally ruthless in testing one's loyalty and dedication to God. She has done her multiple PhD in corrupting our souls. The offer could come in the form of a huge sum of money, beautiful women, luxury, followers, name or fame. What form the offer will come depends on what our weakest point is, and Maya is super expert in en cashing on our weaknesses. Therefore, we need to be extremely careful, mindful and prayerful. We should try to align our desires in such a way that we only and only want Krishna and nothing else. And we should keep regularly sending this plea of ours again and again to Krishna and keep reminding ourselves of not giving in to the cheap offers of Maya. We have to work relentlessly (just like Maya works relentlessly to derail our spiritual life) to increase the value of our dedication and loyalty to God up-to the point of infinity, up-to the point where the possibility of falling to Maya's proposal becomes impossible. Then we are safe. Till then we can keep this beautiful prayer of Lord Chaitanya continuously on our tongue and etched deeply in our hearts.

na dhanaḿ na janaḿ na sundarīḿ
kavitāḿ vā jagad-īśa kāmaye
mama janmani janmanīśvare
bhavatād bhaktir ahaitukī tvayi


"O Lord of the universe, I do not desire material wealth, materialistic followers, a beautiful wife or fruitive activities described in flowery language. All I want, life after life, is unmotivated devotional service to You."

- Achyut Gopal Das

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRACTICAL TOOLS FOR DESIRE MANAGEMENT

“I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of, so they can see that it’s not the answer.” ― Jim Carrey, American - Canadian actor Long back, I heard this analogy to explain the nature of the unlimited desires in our hearts. It is explained in this analogy that, even if all the water bodies in earth are made into ink to fill a pen whose nib is as small as an atom and the sky is made into paper to write on; the ink will get exhausted, the nib will break and the paper will run-out but our list of desires will not get over - we will still have more left. Over these years of spiritual practices, I have realized the truth behind this analogy. I have become more aware of the dynamics of desires and it's working in life. Even though our hearts are filled with unlimited desires, luckily just a few jump into awareness every now and then, just like a few fish jump out of the surface of the ocean every now and then even though the ocean is filled with u...

SEEING THE UNSEEN HAND OF GOD

"kartum akartum anyatha kartum"  "Everything happening, not happening or otherwise happening is His happening." A few days ago, I had the opportunity to participate in a retreat for brahmacharis (monks) connected to the Radha Gopinath temple, Mumbai at the Govardhan Eco Village - the farm project of Radha Gopinath temple. Among other feelings, retreats like these always leaves you feeling a little more grounded and humble. You feel small in front of hundreds of other accomplished monks. The saying - " a big fish in a small pond becomes a small fish in a big pond " aptly summarizes the feeling one experiences in these Yatras. Another interesting experience was the experience of saving my slipper. May sound a little silly. But, it wasn't that silly given the fact that most monks have a similar kind of slipper (paduka type sandals). It was a kind of fun to try to hide my slippers in different places so that it wouldn't get interchanged with those of...

THE UNSUNG HERO

A few days ago, I was traveling from Mumbai to Govardhan Eco Village (GEV), our farm at the outskirts of Mumbai. While on the way I somehow remembered about a unique spiritual personality, Punchari ka Lota Baba. I don't know how I remembered about him, but sometimes Krishna gives sudden remembrances. This was of course a pleasant one. Just by remembering him, I felt elated. There is a fascinating story of this great soul from Govardhan Hill at Vrindavan. I had gone to his temple at least 14 years back.  Something more interesting was that as I was walking in GEV, I came near the replica of Govardhan Hill which the devotees have made at GEV, and to my amazement, I was right in front of the replica shrine of Lota Baba. How Krishna fulfills spiritual desires is just amazing. This was nothing short of a miracle for me. I just thought of him a day back and now I am in front of his shrine having his darshan. I was in ecstasy seeing Lota Baba and remembering his life and example. I woul...