Skip to main content

LIFE OF PI - A Tribute to Irfan Khan

"I suppose in the end, the whole of life becomes an act of letting go, but what always hurts the most is not taking a moment to say goodbye." - Irfan Khan from the movie "Life of Pi"

Probably one of the best movie of Irfan Khan is the "Life of Pi" (that is the only movie I have seen of his). The movie shows how Irfan Khan as Pi, was saved once during the drowning of the ship in which his family was relocating to Europe and the second time, while being stranded alone in the Pacific Ocean along with a ferocious Bengal tiger called Richard Parker in a small sail boat. But in the movie of life, he sadly couldn't be saved from the cancer that was ravaging him. We may get saved many times from many life-threatening circumstances but there will be one situation when we will not survive. Whoever one is, however famous one may be, however educated and successful one may be, everyone has to meet this inevitable end.

Lord Krishna states this truth in the Bhagvat-gita 2.27 - 

"jātasya hi dhruvo mṛtyur
dhruvaṁ janma mṛtasya ca"

"For one who has taken his birth, death is certain; and for one who is dead, birth is certain."

Therefore intelligence is to prepare for this inevitable moment. How to prepare for this final exam and pass it with flying colours is explained by Lord Krishna in Bhagvad-gita 8.5 and by Shukadev Goswami in Srimad-bhagvatam 2.1.6

"anta-kāle ca mām eva
smaran muktvā kalevaram
yaḥ prayāti sa mad-bhāvaṁ
yāti nāsty atra saṁśayaḥ"

"And whoever, at the time of death, quits his body, remembering Me alone, at once attains My nature. of this there is no doubt." - Bhagvat-gita 8.5

"etāvān sāṅkhya-yogābhyāṁ
sva-dharma-pariniṣṭhayā
janma-lābhaḥ paraḥ puṁsām
ante nārāyaṇa-smṛtiḥ"

"The highest perfection of human life, achieved either by complete knowledge of matter and spirit, by practice of mystic powers, or by perfect discharge of occupational duty, is to remember the Personality of Godhead at the end of life." - Srimad-bhagvatam 2.1.6

Our prayers to Irfan Khan who I heard was a vegetarian from his very childhood even though born in a Muslim family. His father used to say that he is a Brahman boy born in a Muslim family. Such sincere Muslims bring great glory to their religion. We pray that wherever he may be, he will continue on his search for the Absolute truth, something that was so well depicted in the movie, "Life of Pi" and that was so dear to his heart in his real life too. This life is after all, a small scene in the big movie of the imperishable soul to find answers to the mystery of life and death. 

- Achyut Gopal Das

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRACTICAL TOOLS FOR DESIRE MANAGEMENT

“I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of, so they can see that it’s not the answer.” ― Jim Carrey, American - Canadian actor Long back, I heard this analogy to explain the nature of the unlimited desires in our hearts. It is explained in this analogy that, even if all the water bodies in earth are made into ink to fill a pen whose nib is as small as an atom and the sky is made into paper to write on; the ink will get exhausted, the nib will break and the paper will run-out but our list of desires will not get over - we will still have more left. Over these years of spiritual practices, I have realized the truth behind this analogy. I have become more aware of the dynamics of desires and it's working in life. Even though our hearts are filled with unlimited desires, luckily just a few jump into awareness every now and then, just like a few fish jump out of the surface of the ocean every now and then even though the ocean is filled with u...

SEEING THE UNSEEN HAND OF GOD

"kartum akartum anyatha kartum"  "Everything happening, not happening or otherwise happening is His happening." A few days ago, I had the opportunity to participate in a retreat for brahmacharis (monks) connected to the Radha Gopinath temple, Mumbai at the Govardhan Eco Village - the farm project of Radha Gopinath temple. Among other feelings, retreats like these always leaves you feeling a little more grounded and humble. You feel small in front of hundreds of other accomplished monks. The saying - " a big fish in a small pond becomes a small fish in a big pond " aptly summarizes the feeling one experiences in these Yatras. Another interesting experience was the experience of saving my slipper. May sound a little silly. But, it wasn't that silly given the fact that most monks have a similar kind of slipper (paduka type sandals). It was a kind of fun to try to hide my slippers in different places so that it wouldn't get interchanged with those of...

THE UNSUNG HERO

A few days ago, I was traveling from Mumbai to Govardhan Eco Village (GEV), our farm at the outskirts of Mumbai. While on the way I somehow remembered about a unique spiritual personality, Punchari ka Lota Baba. I don't know how I remembered about him, but sometimes Krishna gives sudden remembrances. This was of course a pleasant one. Just by remembering him, I felt elated. There is a fascinating story of this great soul from Govardhan Hill at Vrindavan. I had gone to his temple at least 14 years back.  Something more interesting was that as I was walking in GEV, I came near the replica of Govardhan Hill which the devotees have made at GEV, and to my amazement, I was right in front of the replica shrine of Lota Baba. How Krishna fulfills spiritual desires is just amazing. This was nothing short of a miracle for me. I just thought of him a day back and now I am in front of his shrine having his darshan. I was in ecstasy seeing Lota Baba and remembering his life and example. I woul...