Skip to main content

MAKE IT A POINT TO MAKE THE POINT

A few days ago, as I was traveling on the ferry that takes us to our ISKCON Center at Chodan island, a relatively young man approached me and started to talk to me. My Vaishnava (devotee) attire probably attracted him to me. He was asking me if I was a preist in a temple. To which I said "Yes". I asked him where he stays and what he does. He told me that he stays in Panjim and runs a chicken shop in Porvorim. I asked him his name and as I guessed, he happened to be a Muslim. I could see marks of dried up blood stains in different places in his shirt. I at once told him to try to switch his profession to one which involves less violence. I suggested to him to start a vegetable or a grocery shop. 

He seemed to be taken a little aback by what might have appeared to him to be a stange suggestion by a stranger. I told him that killing innocent animals is not right. They too have life and feelings like us. He was hearing me out. He then asked me, if one can eat chicken or meat. I said, "No". He then asked if atleast fish is allowed. To which, again I said, "No". He started to think a little. Probably he was a little jolted. I felt that never ever in his life, he might have thought in this direction. Probably, no one told him, "It's wrong". 

He said, "He will have to try to stop eating meat." Understanding his background, lifestyle and upbringing, I told him, "Don't do it suddenly. Reduce it little by little." I am not sure if he was at all serious about the discussion or whether he would even try. But the point that I made the point of stopping violence and the point that he atleast said, that he will try, is a good start. _As devotees of the Lord, as knowers of truth, it is our duty to present the truth to others. Whether others follow it or not, is not in our hands. We have to do our duty of sharing the truth and then be detached from the result._

Srila Prabhupada would always make it a point to discuss with Christian priests (whenever he met them) as to why the Christians eat meat when Jesus has said in his commandments, "Thou shall not kill". Prabhupada knew that his point may in all probability go in deaf ears but nevertheless it was his duty to make the point. And this comes from the natural compassion that every devotee should have i.e. not wanting to see other creatures in pain and suffering. 

A few days prior to this as I was travelling on the same ferry, I saw 6-7 small fishes scooped out of the river by the ferry vessel. I was seeing them flapping so desperately for their lives. I managed to put few of them back into the river. Rest, I couldn't save. I felt nice about the few fishes I managed to save but I also felt bad that I couldn't save all of them. All this while, people were driving out of the ferry on their vehicles a little oblivious to the suffering of these tiny creatures. Actually, I am always a little watchful to see if I can try rescue the fishes everytime I travel in the ferry. But, I also feel a little self-conscious to do it when everyone is watching me save the fishes. But I still overcome my self-conciousness and try to save them because their pain and suffering is unbearable to see. I am not mentioning this to glorify myself but just to make a point that, being empathetic to other's suffering is so natural yet is becoming so uncommon and rare.  People seem so numb and disconnected from the suffering of innocent creatures just because they are engrossed in their own world of enjoyment. Their world matters, not the world of others. Real education and advancement of society is dependent on this value of compassion and love. The world may not change overnight but it is our sacred duty to try to make our point by our actions and by our words, and hope and pray that the world will someday understand this simple but an essential point.

- Achyut Gopal Das

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GAINING by GIVING - WINNING by SERVING

"Life is like a game of tennis - in order to win, you have to serve well." For two consecutive years, 2011 and 2012, we organised a contest for the school children across Goa called Gita Champions League (Henceforth referred to as GCL). We had a massive success with 3800 children participating the first year and 8600 children participating the second year. But, all this didn't come easily, we had to literally slog it out. Well, for that matter nothing wonderful comes easily, does it! THE BURDEN OF LOVE I took up GCL or rather GCL came to me at a time when I was going through intense personal struggles on literally every front - physically, mentally and institutionally. Yes, I was desperately praying for a service that could literally pull me out of the quagmire of my problems. I have always believed and witnessed the power of service. Service has always saved me in difficult times. The only reason, I am intact in my spiritual life despite the numerous challenges is beca

WHEN MASTER BECOMES A SERVANT..

" If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go for a picnic. If you want happiness for a month, get married. If you want happiness for a lifetime, serve others. " - Chinese Proverb When and where have we seen a master take the role of a servant? Probably never or if at all, very rarely. Here, I would like to briefly touch upon a few touching stories from the life of Lord Krishna, who even though is The Supreme Master of everything and everyone, still happily chooses to play the role of a servant to His devotees.  THE RECEPTIONIST Much, much before the Mahabharata war, when Yudhishthira was performing the Rajasuya sacrifice to be crowned as the undisputed emperor of the world, all his friends and relatives were assigned different departments to take care of, depending on thier tastes and inclinations. Bhima was in-charge of the kitchen, Sanjaya was in-charge of the protocol and of taking care of Kings from various lands, Duryodhan was in

THE BREATHING BELLOWS

Every morning when I wake up and notice my breathing and observe my chest swelling up and down being pumped with air, I invariably remember a verse from the Srimad-bhagvatam which states that our breathing is like the breathing of the bellows of a blacksmith. Both the bellow and our body is made of leather. The bellow may feel that it is breathing on it's own and is fully independent but, it does not know that as soon as the blacksmith stops pumping air in it, it will stop breathing and lay lifeless. Similarly, we may be proud of our breathing and our life and may feel fully independent but, we don't realise that as soon as God decides to stop pumping air into our system, our body will stop breathing and lay lifeless.  What is there to be proud of when we don't even have control over our breath?  We should be grateful to God for giving us the wonderful opportunity and gift to breathe and live. And, the way we express that gratitude is by using our breathes and