Skip to main content

THE QUEST FOR SUCCESS

"In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take."

A few weeks ago, I was doing a training program for our devotees at our ISKCON center in Siolim. My theme that day was to highlight the need for devotees to find their hidden potential. I was explaining, how important it is for every devotee to feel successful in life; how the growth of every organisation depends on the growth of the individuals within the organisation. I explained to them, how in the name of growth of the organisation, we can't overlook individual growth - both are interconnected.
One devotee asked me a very intelligent question. He asked me, "What does success mean?" I told him, "Success, doesn't mean to become successful in the eyes of people. It doesn't mean name, fame or any other external things." I told him that, "Success means to feel that you have done your best, that you have lived up to your full potential. Others are not the judge of our success but we ourselves are." I concluded by saying, "The ultimate test of success is, when one is on one's death bed, he or she shouldn't have any regrets that "I didn't live up to my full potential. I could have done so much more." Rather, one should feel, "I have lived life fully to my potential and I am dieing with pride in my heart and not regrets." That feeling is the feeling of success." Mahatma Prabhu, a senior disciple of Srila Prabhupada, puts this succinctly as, "Don't enter the grave with music still in your head." What it means is that, whatever, we want to do, we need to do it while we are still alive. And because we don't know when death will strike us, it is all the more important to go and chase our dreams now and not postpone it.

The joy of finding one's talent, one's niche, one's potential and then getting better at it, is a joy that everyone should experience. No one should be barred from it - it is everyone's birthright and everyone's sacred duty. We all are uniquely created and we all have a unique place in this universe in terms of our contribution. We just need to find it. As Mark Twain's famous quote goes - "The two most important days in life are - the day you were born and the day you find out why." We all need to find our "Why". That's one part of self-discovery and an important part as well. We can't neglect it. This "Why" is our Sva-dharma - our God ordained duty.

Whenever some devotee would go and ask Srila Prabhupada, "What should I do, what service should I do?" Srila Prabhupada would invariably have the same answer. He would counter question them, "What do you want to do, How would you like to serve Krishna?" He always encouraged devotees to think, strain their brain and do something that they really liked doing. He wanted independently thoughtful devotees.

With now knowing what is success and the need to achieve it, it is our scared responsibility to act now and become a success for us, for the world and for God. Wishing you all the best in your journey to success - the world is waiting for you. Don't keep it waiting too long.

- Achyut Gopal Das

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE VICTORY FLAG - Offering to H.H. Jayapataka Maharaj

  Today is the Vyas Puja (Appearance Day) of one of the greatest heroes the world has ever seen and definitely one of the biggest heroes in my life. Today is the Appearance Day of His Holiness Jayapataka Maharaj. "Jayapataka" means "Victory Flag" . As his name suggests, Maharaj has achieved victory over insurmountable and seemingly impossible obstacles. His life is an emblem of one-pointed dedication to Guru, selfless service to the Vaishnavas and unparalleled compassion to the common people. Even after going through a life-threatening brain hemorrhage, a liver and a kidney transplant, he still continues to preach the message of His Dear Lord Chaitanya with great vigour and zeal. For him the word "Impossible" means "I am possible". His life is a glaring example to the entire world that, if one is possessed by a burning desire to serve Guru and Gauranga, then anything, literally anything is possible.  Srila Prabhupada, in...

LETTING GO OF "THE SMALL" to ACHIEVE "THE BIG"

"The main thing is to keep the main thing as the main thing." Here are few musings from the books of Radhanath Swami. Simple, little stories but with profound meanings that can permanently alter our consciousness if we allow them to. The first is a story from his memoir, "The Journey Home". During his travels in the Himalayas, he reached the holy city of Rishikesh. There, he took a month-long vow to fast and meditate on a rock in the Ganges to receive enlightenment. After successfully completing his month-long vow and being blessed with deep spiritual wisdom, he decided to break his fast with the one rupee coin some pilgrim had donated him. Remembering, a peanut vendor that he used to see on his way to the Ganges, he decided to buy some peanuts and give himself a feast. When the shopkeeper saw one rupee, his eyes lit up and he made a large shopping bag of old newspapers and filled it with peanuts. As Radhanath Swami walked along the jungle path to his cave, rejoic...

REQUEST TO & FROM A MOTHER

  Today on the occasion of Mother's Day, I went to meet the cow, our mother to wish her for Mother's Day and make a request to her. I requested her to shower her blessings and mercy on her children who are suffering so badly due to the deadly covid virus. The good news for all of us is that, she mercifully agreed to shower her heartfelt blessings, prayers, mercy on all her children. After all, that's the heart of a mother - always wanting and desiring best for her children. I was elated, my mission accomplished - now, the suffering of humanity will reduce. As I was leaving, the cow also had one personal request. She requested me with tears in her eyes to request her children not to abuse, exploit and slaughter her mercilessly. I could literally feel her pain and suffering as she made this request. This was the pain of a mother. Tears swelled up in my eyes. I didn't know what to reply her. I did tell her that I will pass on her request to her other children and I walked ...