Skip to main content

REQUEST TO & FROM A MOTHER

 

Today on the occasion of Mother's Day, I went to meet the cow, our mother to wish her for Mother's Day and make a request to her. I requested her to shower her blessings and mercy on her children who are suffering so badly due to the deadly covid virus. The good news for all of us is that, she mercifully agreed to shower her heartfelt blessings, prayers, mercy on all her children. After all, that's the heart of a mother - always wanting and desiring best for her children. I was elated, my mission accomplished - now, the suffering of humanity will reduce.

As I was leaving, the cow also had one personal request. She requested me with tears in her eyes to request her children not to abuse, exploit and slaughter her mercilessly. I could literally feel her pain and suffering as she made this request. This was the pain of a mother. Tears swelled up in my eyes. I didn't know what to reply her. I did tell her that I will pass on her request to her other children and I walked away as quickly as I could. I just couldn't look into her tear filled eyes.

As I was walking, I was thinking of what kind of a big, motherly heart the cow has. Tolerating all the merciless torture by her very own children and yet wishing well for them. Who can have a bigger heart than her and who can have a more cruel heart than us, her children who are ready inflict unlimited pain and death on our own mother. We need to acknowledge the fact that one of the main cause of suffering of humanity (including Covid) is the cruelty we inflict on such a massive scale on innocent animals especially the cows. How can we expect a society that tortures one's own mother to be happy and peaceful?

On this Mother's Day, let us vow to stop this cruelty on the cow, our mother and become her worthy children. I feel that will the best Mother's Day gift we can ever give to mother cow, to mother nature and to every other mother on this planet.


- Achyut Gopal Das

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE POWER OF OBEISANCES

Offering obeisances to the Supreme Lord in His deity form may superficially look like a very small and a simple activity. But, it is one one of the very important and significant aspect of Bhakti. Therefore Lord Krishna stresses the importance of offering obeisances to Him in one of the most important verse of the Bhagvat-gita in chapter 9, verse 34. "man-manā bhava mad-bhakto mad-yājī māṁ namaskuru mām evaiṣyasi yuktvaivam ātmānaṁ mat-parāyaṇaḥ" "Engage your mind always in thinking of Me, become My devotee, offer obeisances to Me and worship Me. Being completely absorbed in Me, surely you will come to Me." - Bhagvat-gita 9.34 This verse comes exactly in the middle of Bhagvat-gita making it all the more important. Not only that, this is the only verse that appears almost as it is, again towards the end of the eighteenth chapter of Bhagvat-gita as follows - "man-manā bhava mad-bhakto mad-yājī māṁ namaskuru mām evaiṣyasi satyaṁ te pratijāne priyo ...

A RADHASHTAMI MEDITATION

Jai Sri Radhe!! Is the chant on everyone's minds and hearts now. Atleast in the minds and hearts of devotees. It's time to celebrate the most auspicious of auspicious festivals; it's time to celebrate Sri Radhashtami - the appearance day of Srimati Radharani. For devotees, Radhashtami is a more important festival than Janmashtami. Why? Because for the world Krishna is God but for devotees, Radha is God because they know that Krishna is subservient to the love of Radha. In our ISKCON circle, it is said that - Janmashtami is a public event but Radhashtami is a private event for only devotees who understand the supreme position of Srimati Radharani. On the most auspicious occasion of Radhashtami, I would like to bring to your attention a beautiful meditation that His Holiness Bhakti Tirtha Swami wrote many years back on this occasion called "An offering for the Divine Mother". The best prayer is to repeat the prayer of previous realized, great souls. Keeping thi...

JUST BECAUSE...

Just because we give good discourses, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Just because we write nicely, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Just because we manage the temple nicely, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Just because we cook nice bhoga, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Just because we start many temples and centers, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Just because we have completed many projects, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Just because we have many followers and have made many devotees, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Just because we have organised many events, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Just because we dress the deities nicely, doesn't mean that we are spiritually advanced. Yes, these services are wonderful and laudable but we shouldn't forget the purpose of doing all these various services. Somehow, the nature of ...